Church Under Construction
A short book telling the history of the church, using primary sources, plenty of visual images, hymns and other material.
In 2012-13, a group of church members gathered every month at Castle Church in Stafford to hear the story of the church unfold. Castle Church is an evangelical, Anglican parish church in the UK and the book focusses on the particular aspects of history which form its heritage. The notes from those talks have been revised and expanded to form this short book which I hope will be useful not only to those people who first heard the lectures but to anyone else who has an interest in finding out how the church has come to be what it is.
Download a printable pdf here.
Additional resources for each chapter
1. Martyrdom and Mayhem (The Early Church: 70-451)
Caecilius and Octavian
Of the Father’s Love Begotten
2. Power and Glory (The Mediaeval Church: 451-1517)
Animated map of the Holy Roman Empire
O Sacred Head Sore Wounded
3. Theses and Theology (The beginning of the Reformation: 1517-1546)
A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
4. Kings and the Kingdom (The English Reformation: 1525-1603)
5. Calvin, Christ and the City (The Continental Reformers: 1536-1564)
Psalm 23 from the Genevan Psalter
Five Points of Calvinism?
6. War and Worship (The Puritans: 1603-1700)
Come Let Us Join Our Cheerful Songs
Who Would True Valour See
7. Mission and Mercy (The Great Awakening and its consequences: 1700-1900)
O For A Thousand Tongues
8. Oppression and Opportunity (The Modern Church: 1900–2013)
O Church Arise
Christianity.com: Great timelines and articles on the individuals and events of church history.
CCEL: A vast collection of texts from throughout church history.