A wall

There has been progress on the doll’s house:

wp_20160130_16_09_13_pro

I painted one side wall and then I got to work. I wanted a painted brick effect, so I mixed up some talcum powder and white emulsion paint to make a sort of plaster substance. I took some craft foam, drew lines on it and then cut out brick shapes to make a stencil. The foam was a good depth, but not quite stable enough, really. It lasted for one wall, but I’ll need to make new ones for the others. And when I put the plaster through it, I had to keep tweaking the foam into place. It’s fine for the cottage I’m doing, but it wouldn’t be great if you wanted a more even look.

I left the bricks to dry overnight and then sanded it down to get rid of some of the extra-blobby bits. I left the dust on the wall while I painted it once more with white acrylic, to add a little extra texture. I’m really pleased with how the brickwork turned out.

So, then on to the fun part: the Banksy. Seriously, this is going to be the coolest house ever. I’m planning a Bridget Riley wall in one room and a Rob Ryan ceiling in the attic. And on the outside a Banksy:

banksy

I’m very pleased with it indeed!

Oh, and the bricks at the bottom of the wall? Let’s just say that Banksy, like me, can’t paint feet. ;)

My new project

I don’t really like to have too many different Works In Progress (WIPs) on the go at the same time. At the moment, I have the hoodie I’m knitting and one piece of embroidery. I’d also like to finish hand quilting the bedspread I started last year. That feels like enough. Oh, and there’s some weaving and some spinning on hibernation.

Hmm.

Anyway, I have a new project and I am ridiculously over-excited about it!

LOOK WHAT I GOT:

IMG_0580

 
A doll’s house! I’ve been wanting one to do up for several years. They sometimes have doll’s house fairs at the County Showground, a few minutes up the road from me, so yesterday afternoon I went on impulse, hoping that I might find a bargain. And I did! Someone was selling this off very cheaply. It’s an ex-shop display house. No interior work had been done at all and on the outside there was just some badly applied tiling and brickwork papers, which I have removed.

The only other thing I bought was some lovely wood laminate flooring for it. I have laid the attic floor and the first floor. It was a lot of fun, and very satisfying, especially sanding the wood down at the end. However, today my wrist and arm are really quite painful! Ah, well. I think it was worth it:

IMG_0578

I did look round the fair but to be honest, I think most of the fun for me is going to be making all the things to go in it, not buying them. I don’t want this to be an old-fashioned house. It’s going to be (one of) my dream home(s), so it will be fabulous and modern and I can’t wait to get started on some of the ideas I’ve got for it. I’ll be sure to keep you posted!